1 clove garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
400g tinned tomato and onion relish
1 can black beans, drained and gently rinsed under cold water
Salt and pepper
4 large eggs
Fresh coriander and parsley, for garnish
French loaf, for serving
- Remove the sausage meat from the casing, and roll it into about 14 balls
- Turn the garlic clove into paste by adding a sprinkle of salt and grinding it with the back of your knife.
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large pan. Add the boerewors balls in batches and cook until browned inside and the outside is golden and crispy, about 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the garlic paste and cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato relish, stirring gently to combine for about 60 seconds. Turn heat down low and cook at a bare simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using a large spoon, make a well near the perimeter of the pan and break an egg directly into it.
- Spoon a little sauce over the edges of the egg white to submerge it a bit and contain it, leaving the yolk exposed.
- Repeat with the other 3 eggs, working around the pan.
- Season the eggs with a little salt, and place the pan in a 160°C oven for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on how you prefer your egg done.
- Sprinkle with coriander and parsley, and serve immediately with crusty bread.